Monday, April 23, 2007

The WAVE Trip - Kanab UT!

At the beginning of the month I went on a trip with my sister Cerissa over her spring break. She wanted to go on this particular hike called "The WAVE" so we went down to Kanab and stayed in this cute hotel for a 5 day trip. We ended up doing over 25 miles of hiking but it was a blast. Southern Utah is so beautiful and special to our family, there is something about the red rock down there, it brings back memories and makes me happy. I have been lucky enough to be to almost all of the National Parks in UT (My dad dragged us there for family trips when we were young but I am grateful now). We spent most of our time in the Paria Canyon area, hiking slot canyons, Grand Escalante, Kodachrome Basin and we hit Bryce National Park on the way back. I hope you enjoy the pictures and appreciate the beauty of this area. I am soo glad that I did this trip and got back out in nature and the red rock that I grew up with an love.
THE WAVE














The Wave was beautiful - it is a one of a kind formation that you will not see anywhere else in the World. I am glad that I got to see it. It is in protected area and they only allow 10 people a day to hike in. We had to go back a couple of times to the rangers station for the lottery before we were chosen.
Cerissa and I decided that we will do anything or hike just about any distance to see an arch. This must be something we get from our Dad again. We didn't get picked the first day for the wave so we decided to do a 14 mile round trip hike instead. Yes 14 miles and we really didn't think it seemed that far or would be that hard. What were we thinking?? We were hiking back an forth across a river in a slot canyon and we barely made it out. I'm exagerating, a little, if it hadn't been for the mud it would have been a lot easier, but it was like hiking with ankle weights on your feet. Needless to say we slept well that night and realized that we are not as young and we thought we were. The arch is called SLIDE ARCH, it isn't a true arch but amazing to see - this is a huge peice of rock that slid down the canyon wall and made this form.

Some other cool things we saw were formations called the toadstools, wire pass which is only 2 feet wide in places, petroglyphs, other arches and the hoodos in Bryce.
















2 comments:

Collette said...

SO it's fun that you have a blog! I check in from time to time but have been scared to leave a comment! haha.. don't know why! I just like checking in and seeing how family is doing! Check out my blog when you get a chance... thedahlhouse.wordpress.com. I don't blog as often as I like, but on occasion you can check out pics of my baby. Keep on blogging! =)

Shanda said...

Jenny,

I love all the pictures! Looks like you had tons of fun! Now if only we could get you to update your wonderful blog more frequently. You know that I am addicted to checking all my favorite blogs every day. So I still check yours everyday even though the same pictures are up. ;) By the way...we LOVED having you here for Talias blessing!